Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Learning to Love a Place I Do Not Know

Hola a todos!

The Pacific Ocean.  Looking south.  
I have been in country for almost a week and a half-although it feels like a month has already passed.  From the moment of arrival to the time of this entry, the city of Lima has brought so much.  Henri Nouwen, upon his arrival in Lima, said that he quickly fell in love with the country.  I cannot say for certain if I am love with this country yet only because I do not know it.  The country is not Lima (even though 1/3 of Peru's population is centered there), and Lima is not just Miraflores (the part of town where I have been living during the duration of language school).  Each part of the country has something amazing to offer, be it the beauty of the mountains, the forest, the ocean, or-most importantly-the people, and I believe I need to encounter all of this to find a deep love for the country.  Even though I cannot say definitively that I am in love with this place, through my experiences throughout the last week and a half I can easily say that this is an amazing place that will offer challenges, joy, passion and a deeper connection to my faith.  If this past week is any indicator, I believe I could say that by getting to know Perú through these offerings I will soon fall deeply in love with this place.

After a day full of traveling, we (me, Ryan, and Laura), arrived in Lima at 5am on the following Sunday (who knew that we would see our first Peruvian "sun" rise so early on!).  We were met at the airport by Tania, Jeanette, Hermano Hugo, O.F.M. Cap, y another worker from Ciudad (I forgot his name, but hope to update this when I find it out), and were quickly driven to San Juan de Miraflores (SJM) where we were to spend the night at Ciudad de los Niños (CDLN)!  The drive from the airport to SJM mainly consisted of me trying to take everything in.  I was lost.  I had no idea where we came from and where we were going.  I didn't know which direction was north or south.  I felt so small, surrounded by the never ending sight of the ciudades jovens on one side and buildings on the other.  I felt as though I needed to go to the highest point in the city just to take it all in.  Like I said, there is so much in Lima alone.  I want to say that I love it, I want to say that my heart is connected to the place, but what do I know? Nothing.  I am still in transition.  I am still living out of my suitcase.  I have already seen the beauty of this place; in the people, in the ocean, and in the house filled hills around SJM-it is an eerie beauty.  Yet, I do not know this place.

Procession after la Misa de Santa Rosa.  National Cathedral is on the right,
Presidential Palace is in the background.  
I know that Ciudad de los Niños will be where I will be planting my roots and growing with the people I will be accompanying.  It is where I will be living-in a simple apartment behind the chapel-where I will be working, and where I will be challenged the most.  Because yesterday (8-30) was the feast day of Santa Rosa de Lima, the patron saint of Lima, Peru, and for many in Latin America, we did not have classes at the language school.  Taking advantage of our free time, we all went first to the procession for Santa Rosa at the Cathedral (interesting experience), and then later me and Laura ventured to SJM to spend the rest of the day at Ciudad.  I have been assigned to work at Casa San Juan (age ranges from 12-14) and yesterday I was able to spend time with some of the teens there.  Those whom I met were wonderful, kindly welcoming the tall, awkward gringo into their community.  I am excited to begin working there, but I also know that i do need to prepare myself in many ways throughout the next week and a half before officially starting.  Wish me luck!

Spanish is going well.  I am realizing the areas where I am lacking, but I am working to repair the breaches in knowledge.  Although our community is really spread out (throughout Miraflores and SJM) I have really enjoyed spending time with them, getting to know each other more, and discovering each other's hidden talents (cough... Ryan's salsa dancing.... cough.... Laura's resilience.... cough-still need to find Tania and Jeanette's).  On Saturday we are planning on venturing a little outside of the city to see the ruins of Pachacamac (http://www.arqueologiadelperu.com.ar/pch.htm).  I have enjoyed receiving updates from everyone, and I pray that this continues throughout the next 18 months and beyond.  You all are wonderful!

paz y amor.

Miguel

1 comment:

  1. You need to read up on Cardinal Cipriani. You may have seen him at the cathedral. He is one of two Opus Dei cardinals in the college. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Luis_Cipriani_Thorne
    Interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete